Friday, September 13, 2013

Behind the Scenes of Wicked

          Wicked is an amazing musical that I've had the opportunity to see live. When I reflect on it I remember all the songs and incredible performances of Glinda and Elphaba, but the video "Behind the Emerald Curtain" reminded me of how hard the ensemble works. Having been in musicals before, I know how hard it can be to stand out in the ensemble. Everyone always remembers the leads, but the dancers and the chorus put in just as much effort as the leads do. That is what's so amazing about Broadway Production; no matter what role someone has, they're always outstanding and they put so much passion into their performance.
          This reminds me of the videos we watched in class that talked about the evolution of the Broadway dancer. Even though they're in a group, they might have the hardest job of them all. This also relates to "A Chorus Line", which is all about the dancers in the ensemble and shows how difficult and draining it can be to be a dancer on Broadway. I was extremely impressed how the Dance Captain in Wicked will individually work with new dancers for two weeks to help them learn the moves and also find their will to make an impact on the stage. It is amazing how intimate the choreographers work with the dancers, and it always ends in a wonderful performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment