Sunday, December 8, 2013

Video Art

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZfl5bkUjmw

For some reason, when I tried to upload this directly from youtube it didn't work so here is the link.

I didn't really plan this video at all, it all kind of came together over the last few days and there's a few different ways I ended up "embracing the error". First of all, I recorded myself playing "Victor's Piano Solo" on the piano, and because I recorded it with my cell phone in a room with awful acoustics, the quality of the recording is pretty bad. This wasn't intentional, but it definitely sticks to the theme of error. Also I can never remember the last few chords of the song, so every single time I play it I mess up the ending. Instead of looking up the sheet music or doing something to fix the ending, I just kept it the way it is in order to embrace the error.
Also when I think of the idea of "error", I think of people trying to erase their mistakes. That's why I played all the video clips backwards; to represent the idea of trying to go back in time and fix your mistakes.
On a more symbolic note, the piece of paper that says "I have so much to say" is burned to represent people who don't speak their minds. Whenever someone holds back their ideas, they almost always regret it, and that is a huge error people make in life every day. So the person burning the paper is making a mistake by not saying what they want to say, and they are not embracing the error in a positive way.

No comments:

Post a Comment